concepts and interfaces

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Mon Apr 9 10:28:21 PDT 2007

This may sound a little retarded, but wouldn't making concepts obligatory
make generic programming more complex and hence more difficult?  In my
opinion this may do more harm than good.  A huge appeal of generic stuff in
D is that it's easier to work with than the C++ stuff.  More powerful, yes,
but also easier.  IMO this is very important.

On the other hand, this increased complexity is a burden only on the one who
is developing the generic library.  It's appeal is that it makes life easier
for the developer that uses the generic library because that developer gets
more intelligent error messages.  This makes generic libraries more
attractive to the average developer.

While I'm not opposed to these features, they don't make me terribly
excited.  With all the other features on the queue, I don't forsee anything
like this getting into D.

-Craig