standardization of D

torhu fake at address.dude
Mon Apr 9 12:41:27 PDT 2007

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
<snip>
>> Bruno Medeiros Wrote:
>>> Indeed. Aside publicity/marketing, does D 1.0 even matter at all? By
>>> "matter", I mean, who of the D developers (even if just hobbying around)
>>> use, work with, or generally care about D 1.0 instead of the current D?
>>> Likely few or none, especially with the amazing new features added, and
>>> even more are planned to come.

<snip>
> Yes, I know what the switch allows, but I'm wondering who is actually
> using it.

I have a dwt app that uses it, and the dallegro project uses it too.
It's mostly a C binding.  I guess one problem is that it makes it more
complicated for users of dallegro to use backwards compatibility
breaking features.  They would have to compile the dallegro files
separately from files that use post-1.0-only features.  So I guess a
'D_1_0' version ID would be useful.  Or some other system that allows
libraries to adjust to being built both with and without -v1.  Then the
compatibility issue could be handled in a way that's transparent to the
user.

I haven't looked into both DMD and GDC's versions of std.compiler, so I
don't know how far that would take you.  And then there's Tango.  But
this should really be part of the compiler, not of the library.