standardization of D

Peter C. Chapin pchapin at sover.net
Mon Apr 9 19:34:35 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote in news:evd7k4$1759$1
@digitalmars.com:

> However, the caveat here is that it does *not* disable features that
> don't change the meaning of your code.  For instance, compile-time
> function evaluation was added post-1.0, but is not affected by -v1.  The
> reasoning behind this is that CTFE allows you to use non-constant
> expressions where you previously couldn't.  Ergo, if your code was
> written for v1.0, then it couldn't have had any of these expressions,
> thus it doesn't change anything.

Hmm. That's great for existing 1.0 code that is compiled with the newer
compiler but, as you point out, not so good for people developing new code
and who wish to conform to the 1.0 definition of the language. I wouldn't
want the compiler to accept a feature that was post-1.0 that I accidently
used.

Peter