BLADE 0.2Alpha: Vector operations with mixins, expression templates,

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 07:20:36 PDT 2007

Paul Findlay Wrote:

> > Particular generators that spark my interest tend to have to do with x87,
> > SSE extensions, and x86-64.  Most compilers to date don't properly use
> > these functionalities.  Having them integrated into D Agner Fog-optimally
> > would hugely replace alot of C++ gaming, video, rendering and graphics
> > engine code.
> And its dawning on me that some text processing can take advantage of doing
> 64-bit/128-bit chunks at a time

Yeah, pretty much any large (>1kb) buffer copy algorithm runs fastest through SSE2 ever since 128-bit came out.  The raw power overcomes the need for tweaking the loop instead of just using rep movsd.

I think the asm guys have the best code we could hope for already written up on a few pages.  Agner Fog, Paul Hsieh et al.  If we could leech their strategy (if meaning legal) then I can see a good use for such a thing.  I guess we just ought to wait for AST reflection.