BLADE 0.2Alpha: Vector operations with mixins, expression templates, and asm

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Apr 10 10:19:49 PDT 2007

Don Clugston wrote:
> I've begun a draft. A historical question for you --
>
> On this page,
> http://www.artima.com/cppsource/top_cpp_software.html
> Scott Meyers says that g++ was the first compiler to generate native
> code. But I thought Zortech was older than g++. Is that correct?

Depends on how you look at it. g++ was first 'released' in December,
1987. But the release notes for it say: "The GNU C++ Compiler is still
in test release, and is NOT ready for everyday use" so I don't consider
that a real release. Oregon Software released their native C++ compiler
(not for the PC) in Jan or Feb 1988, nobody seems to recall exactly.
Zortech's first release was in Jun 1988. Michael Tiemann, author of g++,
calls the Sep 1988 release the "first really stable version."