DSSS, Dsource, and cpan

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Wed Apr 11 02:53:56 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:27:43 +0400, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> In any repository of projects, there's going to be a very wide range of
> quality. There are going to be first rate projects, second rate ones,
> and third rate ones. If a new D user takes a look at dsource, is there
> any way he can tell the difference without a large investment of his
> time?
>
> There are other ways to rank projects besides a certification process.
> One could be like the 'digg' system where registered users can do a
> thumbs up or thumbs down on a particular project. Then, the new D user
> can just look at highly rated ones if he chooses.

I can only speak for myself. When I'm trying to find some library on
SourceForge or RubyForge I at first use 'Trove Map' classification tool
(for example: http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php). Then
search most active developed and most active downloaded projects and make
choice beetwen them. So 'classification' + 'project activity statictics'
+ 'download counter' is my a key in project searching.

And don't forget about 'reputation'. Some projects are well-known (like
PCRE, Boost, ACE in C++ world, or Tango in D world). So a user frequently
go to a such well-known project directly, without self-dependent lookup.

> I agree. Perhaps the certification process should only be applied to
> libraries. The Boost peer review does have a somewhat different agenda,
> I was just referring to the part of its agenda where the Boost libraries
> have to pass a certain level of quality. I think that could be a very
> valuable filter for someone looking for the best of the best D libraries.

The certification process is necessary in case of expanding some
fundamental libraries, I think. For example, when someone wants to include
their extension to Tango or Phobos.

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau