DSSS, Dsource, and cpan

Knud Soerensen 4tuu4k002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 11 08:42:10 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:40:10 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei suggested that a huge resource for Perl users is
> http://www.cpan.org. Not only is it full of reusable Perl code, it is
> very easy to access via
> http://search.cpan.org/~jhi/perl-5.8.0/lib/CPAN.pm, and is a big factor
> in the ongoing success of Perl.
>
> It seems to me that we are close to this with DSSS coupled with Dsource.
> So can we get closer?
>
> I.e., can we change dsource so that there are two kinds of projects:
>
> 1) Projects that are not certified, and
> 2) Projects that are certified
>
> Certified projects must meet certain minimum requirements:
>
> 1) They can be installed using DSSS
This is great but on who's computer the developers or the users ??
If we will make sure that it installs on the users computer,
we should have dsss report back if it fails to install the project.

> 2) They compile and run their unit tests

This is not enough we should require that
the unit test have a 95%-100% code coverage or something like that.

> 3) They have ddoc documentation for their APIs

This is fine I think.