DMD needs branches

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Wed Apr 11 15:22:01 PDT 2007

Chris Miller wrote:
> I'm sure this was brought up in the past, but DMD definitely needs
> stable and unstable branches.
>
> -v1 doesn't cut it. My code is compiled with -v1 and still breaks with
> new DMD versions.
>
> Each new DMD version is bug-ridden. This new one 1.011 is pretty bad!

What are, say, the three major bugs that are preventing you from compiling code?

Don't get me wrong - I can understand your frustration (and thanks for DFL, Entice, et al), and I'm
not discounting your problems, but I guess I haven't seen or heard that the newer compilers were
more 'buggy' than the old. I thought quite a few things had actually improved since the pre-1.0
days. DStress (http://dstress.kuehne.cn/www/dstress.html) seems to show steady improvement anyhow.

IMHO, since Walter is only one person, what you're asking for (branches) may actually have the
unintended consequence of slowing down the fixes. For many of the bugs, it would probably require
making mods. to two diverging code bases.

Thanks,

- Dave