DSSS, Dsource, and cpan

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:50:52 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:36:05 -0700, Gregor Richards wrote:

> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> This was one of the primary motivations for the Tango team "asking"
>> Gregor to include download support early on.  I personally feel that
>> this will be the way most libraries should/will be distributed.
>>

> ... in what universe did the Tango team ask for this? You'd think if the
> Tango team was behind it initially, tango would be net-installable via
> DSSS. And yet, it's not :P
>
>   - Gregor Richards
>
> PS: The reason Tango is not net-installable is because of my do-no-harm
> philosophy of net-installs. You should not install something, then find
> that your arbitrary project using Phobos fails for reasons mysterious to
> you.

Gregor, I think the it was clear that the Tango Team had a "guarded"
interest in DSSS, early on.  I had plenty of discussions with you about
DSSS.

But, unless I missed a discussion behind the scenes (quite possible),
Gregor is right that there was never a formal acceptance of DSSS. The
reason was clear, as I remember discussing the situation: DSSS/rebuild was
buggy and unproven, a fact that made it a precarious choice for promoting
Tango installations during its early stages where first impressions were
crucial (alas, we still had lots of troubles despite that :P ). For
myself, I didn't want to see Tango using DSSS until it could be proven to
work flawlessly. I think DSSS is almost there and should, once again, be
formally tested for release with Tango as an appropriate installation
option.  However, I'm still somewhat guarded in seeing it as a primary
installation option, at this point.

-JJR