DSSS, Dsource, and cpan

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Apr 11 23:03:41 PDT 2007

janderson wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Anders F Björklund wrote:
>>>
>>> Not all projects use ddoc, some use for instance Doxygen instead...
>>
>> Rather than get into an argument about what makes a project certified
>> or not, a 'digg' style voting system might be better:
>>
>> 1) each registered user can vote +1, 0, or -1 on each project. The
>> project then gets a score, which is a simple sum of these.
>>
>> 2) a user can change their vote on a project at any time.
>>
>> 3) votes that are over 1 year old get expired, and set to 0.
>>
>> One potential difficulty with this is someone registering a boatload
>> of accounts in order to shill a particular project. This can be
>> mitigated if people can, sliced by project and user, see who voted for
>> what.
>
> I'm not sure about the whole negative re-enforcement.  You may find it
> scare contributions away.

Matlab has a big user contribution site.  Each project or code snippet
gets its own page, people can rate the projects, and people can leave
comments.  The ratings are "stars" so it doesn't really seem so
negative.  Even if you have the worst rating you still have a "1 star",
which sounds better than a minus anything.  In practice lame projects
just don't get reviewed because no one cares.  Probably the only reason
you'd get a bad review is if you promised the world and in the end your
program just simply didn't work at all and thereby ended up wasting
people's time.

Here's one page from there.
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadCategory.do?objectType=category&objectId=131&objectName=Filtering

If dsource added the *'s rating, and a way to search for projects based
on keywords, I think it would be pretty much there.  The download count
on the matlab pages are kind of helpful as a guide too, but I don't know
how you easy that would be to do given open access svn servers.

--bb