DMD needs branches

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Thu Apr 12 01:19:32 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

> Chris Miller wrote:
>> I know, I know, report bugs. This doesn't cut it. Reporting bugs is hard
>> as hell and time consuming. I need time to report bugs. Now I have to
>> either restrict use to specific compiler versions, which people don't
>> always know about and report their issues back to me, until I remind
>> them they need to downgrade their compiler (which isn't always an option
>> if they need bug fixes), or I have to rush to fix my code to workaround
>> such issues and report bugs. If there was a stable branch, I could get
>> the code working with the unstable branch at a reasonable pace.
>
> Please let me know which issues are breaking your code. I'll be sure
> they get in the test suite so they'll never break again.

This was said (many times!) back when the date for 1.0 was decided upon -
there is no single point in making such a milestone, if there is no actual
way for the user to have it enforced. One could argue that they should
stick with DMD 1.000, but it has serious bugs too which has been fixed in
later releases, but when these releases create new bugs (even when using
the -v1 switch), then you in reality have no stable 1.0 branch. It is
useless as it is.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net