New Features Always Come With Bugs

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Thu Apr 12 15:04:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:03:49 +0800, Davidl wrote:

> There is nothing in the world can be free of bug while offer you new
> features.
> So I think in some degree walter & DMD go in the right way.
>
> And complains won't get better result, why not fix it by yourself?

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone who needs a bug fixed in DMD,
 ** make their own branch of the DMD C++ code
 ** possibly learn C++
 ** update their personal branch
 ** recompile DMD
 ** link in the closed-source back end
 ** perform regression testing on it
 ** be prepared to merge in every new release of DMD from Walter in future

Are you kidding?

Isn't the more practical way just to have Walter maintain the two branches
- one that only gets bug fixes, and the other that also gets bug fixes plus
new features.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia