DMD needs branches

Falk-Florian Henrich schreibmalwieder at hammerfort.de
Fri Apr 13 04:15:07 PDT 2007

Am Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:21:50 +0300 schrieb Lionello Lunesu:

> I think it's very normal to provide a "required compiler version" for
> any distributed source package. And this is nothing specific to D or
> DMD: even projects for Visual Studio required either 6.0 or 2002 or 2003
> or 2005 or 2005 SP1. Granted, this list doesn't change on a week-to-week
> basis, but the idea is the same: the users of the sources must know what
> compiler the sources have been tested with.

I agree that any source package needs to specify some compiler/library
requirements. Nevertheless, I do not know of any quality open source
software that has dependencies of the type

gcc == 3.3.3
libXYZ == 2.3.4
libABC == 1.0.7

Real world packages only specify something like

libXYZ >= 2.3.4

If you want people to download and use your software you cannot bother
them with awkward dependencies. Sad to say, but at this point of time, D
seems to be light years away from that level of interoperability.

Falk