DMD needs branches

Russell Lewis webmaster at villagersonline.com
Fri Apr 13 13:10:14 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> Of course, as somebody mentioned, you get into a deadlock if you want
>> to use two libraries but one library only compiles with DMD 1.007 and
>> the other needs 1.011.
>
> Unfortunately, I feel that makes the libraries unusable with each other.

But that is not necessary the fault of the library code themselves.
Perhaps one of them can't use an old compiler because there is a
compiler crash, and one can't use a new compiler because it uses a
syntax (or keyword) that used to be valid but is now not allowed.  If
there was "stable" branch of the older compiler, that included the
bugfix but not the language change, then both libraries would work
together just fine.