A different kind of Walter? :-)

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Fri Apr 13 18:50:12 PDT 2007

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Sometimes I feel that the world is not advancing. And computer keyboards
> are still laid out for the illiterate, with Caps Lock where Control
> should be. If we nerds were as aggressive as the neuro normals, we'd
> take over the world in two weeks.

The fact that QWERTY keyboards are overwhelmingly dominant shows that
sometimes the worst possible technology can win. One of the major design
rules was that you can type the word "typewriter" using only the top row
of letters. (And basically the same layout is used in non-English
speaking countries, where 'typewriter' isn't even a word). It's hard to
imagine a worse design goal.