DMD needs branches

janderson askme at me.com
Sat Apr 14 04:49:45 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Chris Miller wrote:
>> I know, I know, report bugs. This doesn't cut it. Reporting bugs is
>> hard as hell and time consuming. I need time to report bugs. Now I
>> have to either restrict use to specific compiler versions, which
>> people don't always know about and report their issues back to me,
>> until I remind them they need to downgrade their compiler (which isn't
>> always an option if they need bug fixes), or I have to rush to fix my
>> code to workaround such issues and report bugs. If there was a stable
>> branch, I could get the code working with the unstable branch at a
>> reasonable pace.
>
> Please let me know which issues are breaking your code. I'll be sure
> they get in the test suite so they'll never break again.

Here's a crazy idea.  Why not have all big libraries in some mega test
suite.  You would only run this test on -v1 just before you release a
new version (because it would take so long with 100 odd projects).  At
the very least you could capture all the compile-time errors that way
(and possibly runtime too).

Perhaps the D community could figure out a way to get this to you.
Maybe they could even provide the test suit and continually add
libraries to it themselves until it contains 100+ libraries.  It might
even be a way to indicate which libraries work in which versions.  It
would be updated frequently.

I guess this could kinda working like that translation system someone
mentions a while back, which simply used a massive amount of data to get
around the translation problem.

-Joel