Falling in love with D, but...

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Apr 15 23:55:19 PDT 2007

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> David B. Held wrote:
>  >...
>> Perhaps it is something of a pipe dream to imagine that Eclipse could
>> be taken to this level, but I think it would be a fantastic
>> progression in tool evolution if this were to happen.  The problem is
>> that this kind of IDE is so fundamentally different from your average
>> text editor that there may be nothing to leverage.  Anyway, if anyone
>> is interested in working on something like this, I would definitely
>> try to make some time available to help out.
>>
>> Dave
>
> I'm very interested!
> I even started a SF project for it quite some time ago,
> http://sf.net/projects/tood, but I only have ideas at the moment, no
> code :(
>
> L.

Isn't that kind of what Smalltalk was supposed to be?  I don't know
about the graphical representations of functions part, but at least the
main editing required a "SmallTalk Browser" which was basically just a
hierarchical explorer for all your bits of code.

I never used SmallTalk though... just read about it, so maybe it's
nothing like what you guys are talking about.  I was thinking about
taking the time to learn it back when the Disney research folks were
doing interesting things with Squeak, but then they decided to move to
Python. :-)

--bb