An open question to Rebuild users

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Mon Apr 16 12:51:24 PDT 2007

Judging by the amount of feedback I receive on rebuild, vs the amount of
feedback I receive on DSSS, I'd say that 95% of rebuild users are not
DSSS users. That is, there are more users who use rebuild alone than in
tandem with DSSS. I could be wrong - maybe DSSS just has no bugs :).

Rebuild was designed primarily to complement DSSS, and DSSS was designed
to be the ideal replacement for 'make' and pals for D, so I find it a
bit disconcerting that a tool I designed primarily to be a background
tool is being used as a primary development tool by so many.

So, the obvious question is: Why? Why use rebuild and not DSSS? I
imagine there must be some misconceptions about DSSS, what it is, what
it's for, et cetera.

I imagine some common misconceptions are:

  * DSSS is intended solely to be D's answer to CPAN - that is, a
network installation tool. This just isn't true, the net portion is only
a small chunk of what DSSS can do.

  * DSSS provides no advantages over using just a build tool. Also not
true - even if DSSS provided /only/ a convenient build configuration
file format (dsss.conf), that would be a sizable advantage of rebuild.
DSSS provides much more, however, including easy generation of libraries
with associated .di files, installation, documentation, etc, etc. If you
really want your rebuild profile for an application or library be
portable, you would need to either have several Makefiles or response
files wrapped around rebuild (nasty), or use DSSS (nice).

  * DSSS is not portable to Windows. I think most people know that I'm
not a Windows user, and Windows is mostly a foreign environment to me.
However, this is not true. I've done my best, and am very responsive to
bug reports, and DSSS does indeed work on Windows just as well as it
does on Posix systems.

  * `dsss` is hard to type. Well, I've typed it more than a dozen times
in this post, and my left ring finger is in no particular pain :)

If your concern or concept isn't noted here, please tell me / ask me! If
DSSS /isn't/ everything you need it to be, help me /make/ it what you
need it to be :).

  - Gregor Richards