An open question to Rebuild users

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Mon Apr 16 20:44:59 PDT 2007

Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
> Today, after your posting i tried again to understand what is dsss. And
> wow, it's cool. :)
>
> But... please make more docu.
>
> Some thoughts
> * more Examples

Noted. Admittedly, the documentation is lacking of anything that I'd
call an "example."

> * How platform independent is a dsss.conf (slash handling?)

I believe this is covered in README.software_engineers. dsss.conf
includes the capability to use version statements.

> * How can a package be combined from two source folders?

Also in README.software_engineers, 'type = subdir'

> * Are there internal tools for platform independent cp/mv/find/..?

(Also in README.software_engineers) Just 'install', nothing equiv. of
find. I'm not sure how that would help for compilation, but Idonno ...

> * Examples for extending the functionality with d progs using the dsss api.

Noted. Definitely lacking here.

> * a tango version, that net installs only tango progs

Well, this is on the docket ... it's a bit more difficult than I
anticipated.

> * how to handle package deps and versions?

I suppose this isn't documented very well. For reference here, the
central repository keeps track of what packages are assigned to what
tools, so all you need to do is import.

> * is it possible to build file rules for non D files?

Also in README.software_engineers (sort of). This is accomplished by
{pre,post}{build,install} commands calling make or equivalent.

> Is the focus of dsss really to be also a competitor to general build
> tools like gnu-make or rake?

No, DSSS is D-specific.

  - Gregor Richards