An open question to Rebuild users

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Tue Apr 17 03:27:38 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
>> I think being able to install Tango with DSSS would increase its
>> popularity. I've probably set up my system wrong since 'dsss net install
>> dmd' breaks my manually installed Tango.
>
> Actually, it's not at all surprising that that would break it, since
> `dsss net install dmd` installs the entirety of the DMD distribution,
> including Phobos.
>
> Sort of a problem ... I should probably add a check for that.

You previously said you will not add support for Tango (dsss net install
tango) because it breaks phobos. Wouldn't it be easier (for us users) to
have both. So that you can update them via 'dsss net install' and then
change to the correct library with something like 'dsss profile set
phobos/tango/tango-svn'. Or maybe 'dsss net install dmd' should only
update the binaries and 'dsss net install phobos' the rest of the
distribution. Then, a profile system for dmd/gdc would be cool too.