dsource and ranking vs. rating

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Tue Apr 17 11:50:45 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Knud Soerensen wrote:
>
>> Some of the problem i see with a rating system is:
>

> Any ranking system is going to have misleading, unfair and inaccurate
> results. So will any ranking system using annointed moderators. Any
> attempt to make fine distinctions based on a ranking system is doomed to
> failure.
>
> But looking at it with a broad brush will be, I predict, fine. Look at
> sites with user or moderator ranking systems - slashdot, digg, imdb,
> amazon, download, youtube. By and large, they are successful at
> separating the ones worth a second look from the ones not.

How about whatever system is used, when the user asks for data, they are
never given actual numbers. In place of numbers the server converts the
scores to percentile and then gives them all a random fuzz factor of
about 5% and then orders them and spits out an order. That way if 2
things are within 5-10% they will get shuffled back and forth somewhat
randomly.