Phobos vs Tango! What's your opinion?

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:31:39 PDT 2007

Robert Fraser Wrote:
> > First, D is a new language.The official library is Phobos. Why another library how Tango that is not compatible with Phobos? Because Tango is opensource and the comunity can develop the library?

Phobos was originally written by Walter Bright to provide a working library for DMD.  Several attempts have been made to replace this library, the latest of which is Tango; all were community driven.

> > Why not a concept how java for example, where we have only one big family of class?

That's what Tango is going for.

> > Fundametals differences between Phobos and Tango?

Apart from who implemented what, when, Phobos implements the "minimalist" approach, which I like, while Tango implements a "heavy-weight classes with everything" approach, which some people like.

Fortunately, we have both libraries available for D, and I think the duality is definitely conducive to the language's development.  I can also say that it hasn't been a problem by virtue of the fact that a program may use *either* library *or* both according to your preferences.

If you're downloading someone else's code, having Tango and also Phobos on your computer would probably take less than 50mb, which is insignificant really.