dsource and ranking vs. rating

Knud Soerensen 4tuu4k002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:51:27 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:30:35 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Knud Soerensen wrote:
>> Some of the problem i see with a rating system is:
>
> Any ranking system is going to have misleading, unfair and inaccurate
> results. So will any ranking system using annointed moderators. Any
> attempt to make fine distinctions based on a ranking system is doomed to
> failure.
Yes, correct.

But from the users ranking in my way, you can generate many types
of ranking lists and here you also have data of how the project
compared to each other something which you don't have in ordinary rating.

A thing I use in eigenpolls.
http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/

> But looking at it with a broad brush will be, I predict, fine. Look at
> sites with user or moderator ranking systems - slashdot, digg, imdb,
> amazon, download, youtube. By and large, they are successful at
> separating the ones worth a second look from the ones not.

What I don't like with these type of moderation systems is
that a expert option very often is down moderated by what I call
school kids.  (People which blindly believe what they learned in school.)

What i like best is amazons "the users also bought this
books" system but again I have discover better books with my eigenpolls.