Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Davidl Davidl at 126.com
Wed Apr 18 03:45:59 PDT 2007

> Davidl wrote:
>> Personally, I'm not familiar with tango, but the following is based on
>> the thought of
>> 1. one man's effort vs. a team's effort
>> 2. growing D code need only 1 base standard library.
>>
>> I don't think it's funny to switch from phobos to tango or switch tango
>> back to phobos.
>
> If you haven't used Tango, then how can you make this comment?

I use it a little, but the points I listed is so obvious. I think no doubt
on
those.

>> I think standard library should be provided by D community, I appreciate
>> Walter gave us phobos.
>> We needed this babysitter. But now D community is growing bigger &
>> bigger. I'm wondering if Walter
>> can put as much effort as he used to put on Phobos to compete with
>> Tango.  And endless arguing of
>> Phobos vs. Tango is somewhat meaningless & annoying.
>> Once tangobos out, I hope standard DMD package would be released by
>> tango team & Walter, with Tango
>> being the base default library. Users can use tangobos for legacy code.
>
> I really don't see the need for this.  Phobos is a lovely minimalist
> library that simply gets the job done with a minimum of fuss.  Tango is
> a nicely structured library full of functionality.  They fill different
> needs.
>
> What's more, switching between them is a *total* non-issue.  Here's how
> I compile phobos apps:
>
> $ rebuild foo
>
> Here's how I compile Tango apps
>
> $ rebuild -dcdmd-tango bar
>
> Heck, I usually don't even do that; I just dump the switches into a text
> file and use them as response files.  If rebuild grew bud-style +target
> args, it'd be perfect :)

I don't think it's handy at all, and I don't like the feeling of forcing
users to choose between 2 base libraries at the very first. And I'm quite
sure they would *IN MOST CASE* be misled to phobos without any cosideration
even they don't know if phobos is what they want, they just think it comes
with the compiler. And I think this brings a *GREAT UNFAIR* in library
competition

> It's not like it's rocket science any more.  I honestly can't see a
> reason why the two can't simply coexist.
>
> 	-- Daniel

No, for D's own good, one of them should die peacefully.