Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Alexander Panek a.panek at brainsware.org
Wed Apr 18 10:28:36 PDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Alexander Panek Wrote:
> [...]
> You obviously were quite offended by this line of thought.

Might be. The reason for this may lie in the circumstances of my
"career" as a programmer. I'm not attending university yet, I am just
having my last year's finals at school. This means, problems of academic
level are just new to me, but I'm constantly gaining bits of knowledge
how to achieve different kinds of goals. However, I love beautifully
designed systems in general, solving problems in the most elegant way.
This *may* involve implementing a sorting algorithm at times, to achieve
the goal of providing an elegant solution for a given problem. Yet, this
is not an every-day obstacle. Good programmers are not anymore those,
who can write the fastest algorithms with as few lines as possible,
using almost no memory.. programming is more than that.

In fact, it's not programming alone. I've attended a school for
Electrical Engineering the last five years, where I've learned different
kinds of ways to solve problems. There are mathematical ways, graphical
ways, weirdo-graphical ways (yea.. VBA-like :P), semi-mathematical ways
and analog electronic that can achieve what you want. Still, it's not
the knowledge in detail alone that makes a good EE, it's the knowledge
of what tools and environments are available that makes a good engineer,
in general. Apart from that.. I think programmers, and engineers in
general are the laziest people you can find, when it comes to solutions,
but that doesn't make them bad engineers.

Kind regards,
Alex