summing large arrays - or - performance of tight loops

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Wed Apr 18 12:37:46 PDT 2007

Craig Black wrote:
> Good work on this.  It is certainly a problem for Walter if he sticks with
> his "trust the compiler" philiosphy.  Since the DMD documentation claims

Walter consistently mentioned that a) most of the DM compiler back-end is 20 years old and b) is not
optimized for D yet. I think the "trust the compiler" philosophy is for stability (20 years old),
not optimizations. Plus for integer stuff it seems to do pretty well (GCC is no slouch).

That said, both foreach and FP should perform better!