Let Go, Standard Library From Community

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:18:48 PDT 2007

== Quote from Lars Ivar Igesund (larsivar at igesund.net)'s article
> Bill Baxter wrote:
> > I wonder if there might be some benefits to separating phobos and
> > tango both out into a core lib containing only the barest
> > essentials required to run D code (e.g. object and gc and not much
> > else), and everything else.  Seems like it would be helpful in
> > your case, at least.  It would seem somehow reassuring to me to be
> > able to clearly see what's essential and what's optional.  But in
> > the end the linker should discard whatever you don't use, so, from
> > a practical standpoint, it's not so necessary.
> This is what Tango already do. Tango's phobos.lib is just the
> language essentials. The only external interface coming from there
> is for the GC, threading and Object.

Okay, but we can't mix-and-match the "core" of Tango with the "core" of Phobos
since Phobos hasn't been broken apart (DMD's phobos.lib contains the language
essentials and fun extra stuff, too). Can we just use the tango source with the
standard phobos.lib? I wouldn't think that we could since object is defined
differently and parts of Tango probably depend on the GC changes that Sean has
made.  (Or is this what the "PhobosCompatibility" version is for?)

Maybe it's time to try to convince Walter to separate Phobos into at least two
parts to make it easier for us to plug-in our own GC, etc.

In the meantime, I'll probably be using tangobos
(http://www.dsource.org/projects/tangobos) rather than kicking the Phobos habit
cold turkey.