An open question to Rebuild users

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Wed Apr 18 15:10:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:06:09 +0200, Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:

> Why not help DSSS instead of compete?
> I really see no advantage in competition in a little community like this.

I have no opinion about DSSS yet. I was talking specifically about Rebuild
only.

But why compete, well why have GDC then? And in any case, Bud existed prior
to Rebuild so I guess it would be unusual for me to say "Somebody has
created another application that does the same task as mine so I better
stop working on mine now."

As Gregor has said, he started Rebuild because he, and others, were unhappy
that I couldn't meet their needs in the timeframe that was acceptable. I
believe this is reasonble justification for starting up a competitive
application.

A little healthly competition can, and probably will, provide the D
community with two or more excellent choices, each with a particular
feature set more suitable to one situation over another situation.

Bud is fairly mature and stable and Rebuild is getting that way quickly.
The D community will benefit from this. At the moment, Bud supports DMD
better than GDC and Rebuild is the other way round (I think). Bud is
written in D and Rebuild in C++, and that might be a relevent point of
differentiation for some users. Bud does not yet support Tango and Rebuild
does. etc ...

Should I stop working on Bud and begin helping Gregor improve Rebuild? I
don't think so. Not yet anyway.

As for DSSS, I'm still not sure of its purpose or capabilities. I guess it
is a tool to create installation packages, and that has to be a good thing.
As I come from a Windows background, I find it really weird that so many
Linux applications need to be be recompiled after installation.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia