A different kind of Walter? :-)

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:26:45 PDT 2007

0ffh Wrote:
> RTOS-Kernel on a Fujitsu microcontroller) in 2001 there where already
> numerous papers to be found on the exokernel subject.
> It was a fascinating idea then, and still....

Yeah, the MIT boys back then did a paper on it, and make Xok, which IMHO demonstrated the concept but otherwise sucked because they used the wrong strategies to 'import' code.

When you have an exokernel, you need to be able to delegate gc, thread/process switching (cpu driver), paging and gc (memory driver), port drivers, dma and such out.  Doing that efficiently IMHO requires using shared memory and priveleges rather than strictly RPC.

I think I'll probably spend some time on this code this weekend; if I *ever* get a URL.