Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Stephen Waits steve at waits.net
Fri Apr 20 10:23:11 PDT 2007

David B. Held wrote:

> compiler actually does.  The "Java Syndrome" helps students treat the

Ahh, thanks for giving it a name.  I'll add that to our vocabulary here.

We've been seeing this get worse and worse in the past 5 years.  It's to
the point now where entry-level candidates we interview, from some
high-profile schools, cannot write a basic recursive function
(factorial) or demonstrate any knowledge about pointers, memory, or
anything to do with bits.

That's been my experience anyway.

Basically, seems like the students aren't learning much about the
machine any more.  Were they ever?  Or were us "old-timers" (I'm 35, not
quite an old timer, but whatever) just so excited about the whole thing
that we all spent way too much time learning stuff on our own?  (I also
quit college so I could learn more)

I fear for some of the guys coming through here, that some day they may
find themselves inside a paper bag.

--Steve