Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Stephen Waits steve at waits.net
Fri Apr 20 10:27:14 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:

> To be honest, I wouldn't know the most efficient way to return or pass
> out a vector because I've never had any kind of grounding in the effects
> of the various ways of doing it.  For instance: at what point does
> passing by reference become faster than by value?

10 second lesson on optimization:

* Memory access is slow.  Both reading and writing.  It's generally been
that way for a long time, and appears to be staying that way.

* Optimize what is slowest.

* Know what's slowest by profiling.

* The largest gains generally come from larger algorithmic changes.

--Steve