A different kind of Walter? :-)

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:28:02 PDT 2007

Dave Wrote:
> Seems to me there's got to be a reason for this (not having an OS implement a GC). I wonder what
> that would be, since now-a-days catering to application development is such a vital thing for any
> commercial OS?

Well, people are developing them.  The reason they aren't included by default is a mystery to me, then most OS developers have left the entire process this gigantic undocumented undescribable mess that explains why most new OS starts just give up.  I think it also explains why currently widely-used OS's still don't implement any additional features.

It's difficult, and they don't have to.

That said, I've been architecting a ring -1 program that multiplexes hardware resources without any drivers, HAL or OS underneath it; taking the exokernel principle to the farthest extreme.

My exokernel isn't even a kernel, it's just a gatekeeper.  I was trying to think of a good name for it:

Maat, Aker, St. Peter, Gatekeeper, Guardian, BlackSphere, or Garmies were the first that came to mind.