Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Apr 22 19:41:43 PDT 2007

Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> I tend to tell people that all forms of art seemingly arise from some
> form of science. Programming just happens to be an artform still closely
> linked to its base science.  And our own Walter -- if I recall right --
> is a prime example of a major developer whose background is in something
> else.  I'm pretty sure those airplanes didn't require new compilers.

My training is as a mechanical engineer, with an emphasis on jet
engines. I was fortunate enough to attend a university (Caltech) that
thoroughly believed that all their sci/eng majors should be well
grounded in a broad range of fields, and as I've gotten older and wiser
I see the value in it now.

Caltech requires of all its graduates:

o	3 years of calculus
o	2 years physics