D and the world

janderson askme at me.com
Sun Apr 22 20:05:02 PDT 2007

Its about time for another round of how D can conquer the world.

The way I see it D has 2 options, provide an easy way for C++ users to
switch over or become D.net.  The problem is, it is extremely
impracticable to switch over to D because:

1) Everything is already in C++.  It would take months to switch over.
Time that no one has.
2) Many API's are in C++.  Porting is too dam time consuming.  There are
so many API's that companies use, it is impossible to have them all ported.
3) Learning.  People are resistant to learning new things.  I think this
hurdle is easiest to jump if the other 2 are in place.

The C++ option:

There are several ways this could be done however all would be most
effective.

1) Provide an easy way to link directly with C++ (preferably MSVC), such
that we can write in C++ an D simultaneously and without having to write
wrapper code.

2) Provide a way to import C++ APIs that takes practically no time to
implement.

3) Provide a wizard that will convert a C++ project to D.  It needs to
be so easy, you don't have to even think about it.

This seems like its asking for a lot.  However a month or 2 was spent
setting up D so it could be integrated with C++ within a couple of
clicks, it would pay huge dividends.  This would mean that it would be
much easier for anyone at a C++ factory to convince managers of D's cost
befits.

I think many C++ programmers are looking for a better alternative
however they can't switch to D because of the afore mentioned problems.
  If this was done right, you could practically convert many of the C++
community. Not unlike C++ did to C. I doubt you'll get many C converts
though because most of the ones remaining can't leave C for other reasons.

D.Net option:

I think may people are turning to C# because it has many of the features
D provides.  With products like XNA and a decent development
environment, developers are embracing C#.   Providing a version of D
that works with net (that was in development ages ago), would give D a
foothold for the next generation of programmers.  I do however think
that D will be a harder sell on this platform.

Final comments

It may be possible for D to find its way into main stream by a nitch
market however I think the chances here are low.  Of course one possibly
here is the mobile phone industry.  Even so, D runs the risk of being a
one-time-wonder that is dependent on the phone companies continued support.

Note that I discount Java because there is less overlap in
functionalities.  Furthermore note that my point of view is from the
game industry and the situation may be completely different for business.

So if D wants to become big (say in the next year), I think some time
invested in supporting C++ is its best bet.

-Joel