Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Apr 23 02:52:36 PDT 2007

Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Caltech requires of all its graduates:
>>>
>>> o    3 years of calculus
>>> o    2 years physics
>>> o    1 year chemistry
>
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> If all you know is CS, then I think you're restricting the kind of
>> work you can do.
>
> I have a Computer Science degree, and I have never needed calculus,
> physics, chemistry, etc. in any of my programming jobs.  I resent all
> the time I was forced to waste taking these courses, instead of learning
> about my trade.

I have (such as using physics in game code), and, of course, in the
engineering coding I've done.

At worst, I simply have the pleasure of knowing the basics in that
stuff, and can enjoy things like I once attended a dinner put on by the
JPL mission director for a Mars probe, and was able to follow what he
was talking about. I can appreciate what the Wright bros did and why
they were successful while their contemporaries failed. I can read about
technical things happening and be able understand what they're talking
about. I know why those 9/11 conspiracy theories are hokum (all the
"anomalies" are easily explained if you have even an elementary
knowledge of physics and chemistry). It enabled me to correct a severe
structural flaw in my house that the architect, structural engineer, and
builder failed to notice. I have yet to find a roofer who understands
what "galvanic corrosion" is, and I always check what kind of nails they
use on the flashing (they're always wrong), saving me a ton of
maintenance costs.

The downside (if you could call it that) is that knowledge of real
physics takes away from enjoying movies that have "Hollywood physics".

> Sure, these topics would have been useful if I wanted to get a
> programming job in a field that made use of it, but I don't want these
> kinds of jobs, and there are plenty of programming jobs that don't need
> them.  I even wouldn't have minded being exposed to the topics, but I
> was forced to take the same physics and calculus courses as mechanical
> engineers.  I wasted so much time memorizing formulas and learning how
> to solve problems that I never touched again.

It's too bad you were made to memorize formulas. To me, that isn't what
physics is about, and at Caltech we were never made to
memorize/regurgitate formulas. It's about learning how to solve complex
problems. That skill comes in very handy with programming.

For example, a common programming problem is your program doesn't
behave. How do you go about fixing it? It's the same organized way of
thinking as solving a physics or calculus problem.