OT: CS studies (was: Re: Let Go, Standard Library From Community)

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:40:39 PDT 2007

When I went to university, my first year offered an extensive and exhaustive examination of what an array is, and where the sign bit can be located.  In Pascal, and the second course in Java.

Can you see why I didn't continue?

I had been programming since I was 12, and explained the course well enough to have a friend actually pass after a 20 minute crash course by showing him a language reference after explaining memory in terms of a giant row of boxes.

That said, if I didn't have to subject myself to that again, I would love to someday actually learn something.  Until an institution offers learning, rather than edumacation, I'll stick with reinventing the wheel and asking if someone's discovered that yet.

I learned D, jump tables, level-order binary search arrays, as well as geodesic binary search arrays in the past six months that way.

Sincerely,
Dan