Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Jascha Wetzel "[firstname]" at mainia.de
Mon Apr 23 11:54:46 PDT 2007

> You really don't need a CS degree to do most IT jobs

100% agreed

i'll have to stand up for the CS majors here, though... ;)
i think, these (fairly typical) statements about CS majors are highly
dependent on the university. i attended exactly one lecture during the
first semester of my CS major that was supposed to teach you something
about programming. it was actually more an overview of programming
paradigms and languages types. that's it. no more programming taught for
the rest of the at least 4.5 years.
therefore, argumenting that you can learn programming on your own and
don't need to have a CS major doesn't make much sense to me, since you
have to learn it on your own even if you do have a CS major.

what i've learned instead:
- calculus (incl. numerical and differential)
- mathematical logic, knowledge representation
- designing, analysing and proving correctness of algorithms
- loads of algorithms and data structures
- linear algebra, 3d geometry (incl. curves and surfaces), rendering,
lighting simulation
- image analysis, compression, etc. (incl. fourier analysis, btw)
- some machine vision, pattern recognition
- language theory, compiler construction and optimization
- processor and operating system concepts
- analog and digital electronics basics

i don't regret having spent time with any of this.
what i regret not having taken classes in is cryptography. i hope i'll
find the time to make up for that...