D and the world

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Apr 23 12:02:26 PDT 2007

David B. Held wrote:

> On some level, I agree that "It's the Library, Stupid!" (to paraphrase a
> former President).  However, I disagree that it's *just* the library...I
> think it is how the library is constructed.  I think the next revolution
> in software engineering will be highly configurable and extensible
> libraries, which will tend to obsolete the large collections of
> redundant libraries we have today.

I very much agree.

> Because designing a highly
> configurable library is fundamentally different from designing a
> concrete library, I don't think there is much to be gained by simply
> making every C++ or C or X library available in D.

Well, no.  But there's a lot to be said for being able to exploit tested
and established libraries "for free."  And it's possible to wrap C
libraries to make them easier to use, etc.

> I think projects like Tango and TioPort are good, because these
> foundational services are necessary for bootstrapping.

For what it's worth, Tango is intended to be as modular as possible,
even at the bootstrapping level.  I am sure that more could be done to
make the library more generic, but D templates have only recently become
sufficiently robust to build a production quality library with them.  I
think it will take some time for new techniques to be found and for
libraries to be modified to exploit new features.  Personally, I am
planning to wait for macros and such to be released before giving it
much serious thought.

 > And I don't
> think copying the STL to make the DTL was the right way to go.  D offers
> metaprogramming facilities far and above what C++ allows.  The true
> power of D will become apparent when DTL is resurrected with the full
> power of D's metaprogramming system brought to bear.

Yup.  I think DTL was more an early proof of concept than anything.  It
has the beginning of some very promising ideas, but would require a full
rewrite to be truly useful for D today.

Sean