Let Go, Standard Library From Community

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Mon Apr 23 12:10:59 PDT 2007

Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
> I tend to tell people that all forms of art seemingly arise from some
> form of science. Programming just happens to be an artform still closely
> linked to its base science.  And our own Walter -- if I recall right --
> is a prime example of a major developer whose background is in something
> else.  I'm pretty sure those airplanes didn't require new compilers.
>
> -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls

I tend to see it the other way, or maybe more often the other way

My continuum of understanding

chaos:
   No understanding

magic:
   you know how to get a finite set of result by rote execution.

art:
   a skilled practitioner can get what they want some/most of the time,
and can teach it to some people but can't really say how they do it.

engineering:
   for most useful cases a solution can be derived from the desired
result. (for a span of not more than X and a load of not more than Y use
a Z type beam)

science:
   for all cases within lax bounds, an exact description of what is
happening can be described.

Ironically I think Computer "Science" is generally somewhere between
magic (for the "bad" programmers) and engineering (for the stuff Boeing,
NASA and the NSA do) most of the hobby stuff is art.