Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Mon Apr 23 15:50:46 PDT 2007

Stephen Waits wrote:
> Your "most people" is completely different from mine.  In my line of
> work, *every* programmer, at minimum, applies linear algebra *every*
> day.  Many make frequent use of calculus too.

Yes, in *your* line of work.  There's tons and tons of software written
that does not require heavy math skills.  There's no reason to train all
programmers in linear algebra and calculus.  I think they should be
exposed to it at a high level, and if they want to go deeper that should
be their option.

> You may not have needed it in your job, but if you don't have these
> skills, don't apply for a job with me.  :)

Indeed, and I never would.  Isn't the free market wonderful?

-Jeff