Deamortizing AA's and Dynamic Arrays

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Mon Apr 23 19:42:51 PDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:14:46 +0200, 0ffh wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>> Manfred Nowak Wrote:
>>> Is "Deamortizing AA's and Dynamic Arrays" of any interest?
>> By "Deamortizing" you mean "reduce the cost of" right?
>> I'm not an accountant.
>
> I think he means trading occasional "longer" waits for regular
> short waits....

In that case, Manfred probably used the term "Amortizing" rather than
"De-Amortizing". To me, the 'de-' prefix implies an operation that reverses
the effect of amortizing the behaviour. In other words, 'de-amortizing'
means bunching up the costs into larger lumps and 'amortizing' means
spreading the costs into smaller lumps. In both case, the lumps would be
predictable rather than probabilistically determined.

Manfred has quoted a Wikipedia reference and it seems to uphold my
understanding of the term, but I suppose I could just be reading it
incorrectly.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)