Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon Apr 23 20:22:55 PDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Jascha Wetzel <[firstname]@mainia.de> Wrote:
>
>>> You really don't need a CS degree to do most IT jobs
>> 100% agreed
>
> I agree too.  I'm not saying "anyone can do it"; I'm saying that a degree doesn't provide as much as it ought in this particular field.  I found my experience almost debilitating and I think there are a few reasons why:
>
> 1) By the time you're done 4th year, the exactly implementation you were taught starting 2nd year is already obsolete.
>
> 2) Professors were taught by their professors were taught by their professors.  The teacher typically has never been in the industry, and doesn't really understand programming beyond trivial examples on a theoretical capacity.  They're also typically still stuck in the same paradigms and with the same tools as their professor's professor (the 70's).
>
> 3) First year professors are really there to study a master's, not to teach.  They typically suck at teaching, not being able to frame the paradigm with the right analogies, but merely having acceptable technical knowledge.
>
>> i'll have to stand up for the CS majors here, though... ;)
>> i think, these (fairly typical) statements about CS majors are highly
>> dependent on the university. i attended exactly one lecture during
>
> For anyone interested, don't go to University of Calgary for CPSC.
And definitely do not got to the University of Sydney for CS.
In the early 90's, they were still asking exam questions about I/O port
addresses for teletype machines. Unbelievable.
I came outright first in a course called "System Structures" for which I
   did not attend a single lecture. I've no idea what it was about.

Seriously, I reckon I learn more CS every month just browsing the net,
than I did in two years of CS. Fortunately my degree was physics.

I think "Computer Science" is one of the all-time classic misnomers.
There's hardly any science in CS. (Virtually no experimentation, for
example).