D and the world

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Tue Apr 24 00:49:51 PDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:35:17 +0400, Bill Baxter
<dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:

>> But my point was: because of nature of Nemerle it is very hard to
>> compete with it in metaprogramming area.
>
> But fortunately Nemerle is very easy to compete with in areas such as
> "compiling to native binaries" and "working cross-platform" and
> "generating native code" and "writing device drivers".  :-)

Only with two of them: "compiling to native binaries" and "writing device
drives" :)
Because Nemerle is developing mainly on Linux and Mono ("working
cross-platform") and AFAIK, MSIL compiled into native code by JIT at the
first run ("generating native code"). And on MS .Net implementation
Nemerle has a very good garbage collector.

But D is competitive with Nemerle because Nemerle is .Net based language.
So it would have good run-time system only on MS platforms. AFAIK, Mono is
not 100% compatible with MS .Net, so writing cross-platform programs in
.Net languages will be a hard task.

I think the major concurent of D in cross-platform development should be
Java, not .Net.

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau