Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Tue Apr 24 08:08:40 PDT 2007

Jascha Wetzel wrote:
> the german name of this subject is more appropriate.
> "informatik" suggests the science of information.

It's better -- works well for most business apps, but it's a bit of a
stretch for things like games.
IMHO, "software engineering" is a much better term.

> just because there are no experiments doesn't mean it's not a science,
> though. mathematics is usually considered a science although has no
> experiments either. that's because both aren't natural sciences where
> there is a given real world complex that we try to understand by
> sampling it with experiments.

In science, we're always trying to answer the "why?" question.
Mathematics is no exception; that's what proofs are about.(*Why* are
there no integral solutions to x^n+y^n=z^n where n>2 ?)
But in CS, the question is almost always "how?". While doing CS, you
almost never come away with more understanding about how the universe
behaves. Most of the actual computer *science*  is done in mathematics
departments.