D and the world

NN nn-mail at bk.ru
Tue Apr 24 11:58:05 PDT 2007

Frits van Bommel Wrote:

> NN wrote:
> > janderson Wrote:
> >
> > D gets popularity but not enough.
> > IMHO the main factor is the connection with other languages.
> > The only connection D has is via C interface which is not enough.
>
> AFAIK pretty much every programming language "speaks" C. It's basically
> the lingua franca of the programming world.
It is but still there is much C++.

> > I think D should support COM and C API in a simple way.
> > Even by native language support.
> >
> > This is need because D standard library is rare, but with simple COM support, for example, D can use many Windows objects.
>
> Are you aware of the last section of
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/interface.html ?
Yes, but it doesn't helps too much.
How the proxy-stub generated ?
VC supports #import which simplifies your life a lot, can D do the same ?

What happens if the interface in the top isn't derived from IUnknown:
interface A { . .}
interface B : A, IUnknown { .. }

> > What about porting Boost.Python for D as starting point ?
> > Thus Python can easily be connected to D program and this can increase language usage.
>
> http://dsource.org/projects/pyd ?
+1
Nice, didn't know about it :)
Anyway it is a good starting point but not the end.