A different kind of Walter? :-)

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Wed Apr 25 09:57:13 PDT 2007

Alexander Panek wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Alexander Panek wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure going to spend some time getting a proper codebase for further
>>> development done, and write some documentation about how to actually
>>> get to the point of being able to write an operating system with D. I
>>> think that's a major weak point of D, as it claims to be a systems
>>> language, but there's no actual system written in it from scratch,
>>> neither documentation on how to achieve that.
>>

>> Andrei suggested that the source code for Minix, which is fairly
>> small, could be transliterated from C almost directly into D. This
>> would neatly resolve the issue, and provide a starting point for
>> anyone wanting to take it further.
>

> True. On the other hand, a kernel written purely in D is something that
> really would (and will, arr) be cool! I just find it less exciting to
> code "C with D", so to speak.
>
> I'll make sure to announce the project, once a few milestones are
> finished, on the newsgroups.

Linus T. started the same way. He had a Minix running on his machine,
and piece by piece replaced stuff there, until no original code was
left. (And then he /really/ started writing Linux.)

We should do the same thing. Figuratively speaking. So, do the thing in
Cish D, and only when it gets bootable, start rewriting it in Real D (tm).