D and expression evaluation order.

janderson askme at me.com
Thu Apr 26 20:10:13 PDT 2007

Manfred Nowak wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote
>
>> it isn't easy to do
>
> If it is not easy to define the order for the specs,
> then it will not be easy to learn,
> then near to nobody will know of or rely on the definition in the
> specs.
>
> Remember that even M$ recommends to fully parenthese expressions
> <because others might not know how to evaluate expressions without
> parentheses>.
>
> You once said, that you want to prohibit the upcoming of D-guru's. But
> if you yourself are not able to immediately sketch such order here,
> then you have the proof of upcoming gurus.
>

> If it is not easy to code then above arguments holds for compiler
> writers too.
>

> -manfred

I agree.  Furthermore, I strongly think it should be left as is.  Why,
because when I comeup against weird code like that, I don't want to have
to consult the spec.  Its like implicit casting, if you don't know what
is happening your going to have a terrible time figuring out what is
happening.

This is one area where I think D could do a lot more to help the
programmer avoid mistakes.

Furthermore if its difficult to implement, you've just made D harder for
someone else to implement.

Please reconsider putting this in.

-Joel