[OT] Drinking Game (was: Re: Branches and management)

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 08:07:52 PDT 2007

Martin Persenius wrote:
> Daniel Keep Wrote:
>> That's it.  We need a drinking game.
>>
>> Take a shot of your alcoholic (or if you don't drink alcohol,
>> carbonated) beverage of choice each time someone:
>>
>> 1. suggests D could really do with stable and unstable branches...
>> 2. ...and carefully explains how they work as if Walter has been living
>> under a rock the past decade.
>
> I have a couple of friends who regularly tell young people that they learn more by listening than writing, Guess I should take that advice too. Sorry about that. :-(
>
> My impression was that the discussion about branches were talking about a bigger divide between what was considered stable and unstable, basically that no new features at all would be get into stable until a major new release. Walter seemed to think this would increase the work load and wouldn't be worth it. My point was just that it may not be so painful if the differences between the branches are smaller, and shorter.
>
> My apologies to Walter if he was insulted by this simplistic statement, or if it was just stating the obvious.

No, no; that's not why I wrote that!

It just seemed to me that there are some issues that just keep coming up
over and over, and the stable/unstable branch thing is one of them; we
may as well turn them into an excuse to keep a bottle of Coke lying
around (I'm one of those strange people who doesn't drink alcohol.)

I didn't directly reply to your post since I didn't really have anything
constructive to say, and didn't want you to think I was having a go at
you.  Also, being on dialup, watching the video isn't really an option,
so I can't comment on that either.

Maybe I should add another rule to the drinking game: take a shot every
time I write something *I* think is funny, but which gets misinterpreted
because you can't see my silly grin.  I cancel about 90% of my posts
because I worry that it's not really adding anything to the discussion,
or I might be wrong, etc.

My apologies if I've let one slip though that shouldn't have.

	-- Daniel

P.S. To be honest, I think branches would be a nice thing to have.
Usually I give new releases some time to "settle" so that I know about
any obvious problems with them before I download and install them :)

All I know for sure is that since Walter is working on DMD by himself,
I'm happy for him to stick to whatever is easiest for him.

--
int getRandomNumber()
{

http://xkcd.com/