D needs stable and unstable branches!

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Sat Apr 28 12:11:18 PDT 2007

D (and DMD) desperately needs to have stable and unstable branches. The
newest releases are always unstable.

Basically, the idea behind branches is:
  * You can keep "new" code separate from tried-and-true code until it's
ready.
  * Nobody will start writing all their library code against the
unstable branch until it's made stable.
  * Ahura Mazda only listens to prayers of those who have stable and
unstable branches.

Since it would have branches, the unstable branch could add as many
features as it wants, but the most important ones are:
  * LINKING AGAINST C++, JAVA AND .NET CODE. I cannot stress enough that
D will get nowhere unless it can link against all three.
  * The unstable branch should use Tango. Phobos will be considered the
obsolete predecessor to Phobos only.
  * The unstable branch can work on more general concepts, such as
increasing the dynamicism of D. I'd like to see prototype-based objects
or (optional) dynamic typing.

  - Gregor Richards