What is Computer Science?

janderson askme at me.com
Sun Apr 29 19:41:05 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> janderson wrote:
>> David B. Held wrote:
>>
>> [Snip]
>>> But odds are, most students judge a school by how boring their
>>> classes were, failing to recognize that some of those boring classes
>>> are exactly what they need to learn to fill in gaps in their knowledge.
>> [Snip]
>> I must be the odd one out in this theory.  I found the most boring
>> classes were the ones where they were teaching stuff I already knew.
>
> There aren't any boring subjects. There are only boring people <g>.

I'm not sure about that.  I've had some really good speakers but if
their subject is about how a C 'for' loop works, I would still fall asleep.

Its like watching the same movie again.  It doesn't matter how good it
was the first time, I'm not one of those people who can watch it again
knowing the ending.

Then again, I've had some speakers that would keep my interest even if
they where talking about the 91 types of saw-dust.

Reminds me of hell in the "Eric" Terry Pratchett book where they found
that boredom was a far more effective form of punishment then the
good-old fire and brimstone.

-Joel